Which Famous People Have You Met?

Following on from 's Amazing Experience discussion, I thought that I'd start a discussion specifically around what famous people you have met.

I have quite a lot of famous people over my 50+ years, here's some of them.

Sir Patrick Moore (TV astrologer)
Whilst living in Cyprus in the1970's (dad was in the forces), Patrick Moore visited the  island.
We were doing a space project at school and Patrick came to talk to our class.
I can vividly remember to this day Patrick Moore sat on one of the junior school tables, talking to us.

Sir Bobby Robson (Former England football manager)
I was in Amsterdam on a work training course with a colleague in 2000 which was the year that the Euro's (football tournament) was being co-hosted by the Netherlands and Belgium.
One evening after a hard day in the office we returned to our hotel. As the doors of the elevator opened, there stood a gentleman that looked kind f familiar.
It took a couple of seconds for the penny to drop before I realised who it was and said "Bobby Robson!" and shook his hand.
My colleague blurts out "what are you doing here?", to which Bobby replied, quick as a snap "I've come for the skiing" LOL
He was involved with the TV coverage and apparently Glen Hoddle and other football pundits were staying at the same hotel.

Marillion (1980's prog rock band)
As a teenager I was a massive fan of Marillion - especially as they were a local band.
At various times during my younger teenage years I was fortunate to meet all but 1 of the band members.
I found out where a couple of them lived and went with album cover in hand to know on their doors. Both were more than happy to sign the covers.
In fact, one of them even invited me into his house.
Over the years I have bumped into the bass player - usually in Tesco's or more recently The Range.
I always say hi, shake his hand and have a quick chat about things.
I think that he recognised me in The Range as we passed each other and both stopped, turned around and started chatting (he was off to Canada with the band the next day).

I also met the lead singer "Fish" in a pub whilst I was doing the music for my dad's office department Xmas party.
I was setting up the record players and put on my newly acquired 12" single of Marillion's latest song.
Soon after, the pub landlord comes up to me in the function room at the back of the pub and says "That's Marillion's new song? If you come to the front of the pub, you can meet Fish"
OMFG - My hero, my god, my inspiration was just sat there at the bar drinking alone! He was more than happy to sign the cover and wish me a Happy Christmas.
I was far too starstruck to say much - if I has of been older, I could have bought him a drink! 

That's just a few that I have met - will post more if there is interest.

So, who have you met? What were the circumstances? Were they happy to talk?

Parents
  • I used to be a Roadie and do other things in that industry.  So i got to meet many big A list people over the years.  I met Bratney and I can see why her family got a conservatorship, she was grade A nuts and rocking a 30 person security detail.  Christina Aguillera was much more down to earth and sat down for dinner with us all.  U2, Rolling Stones and actually pretty much every major band.  I've lost track of who and how many.  Kylie Minogue is nice to talk to, but really shy.  She sat with us on one job and had dinner every night with us.  The Metallica guys were friendly as well, nothing like the persona they sell.  Also through that job did loads of TV related stuff so met TV people from the UK and US, most were forgettable (well actually pretty much all of them).

Ones I wish i'd never met.  Westlife, Boyzone, Take That and pretty much every boy band in existence.  All stuck up, with that gold spoon rammed up the backend attitude like they were more important than everyone else.  Their shows were always autotune affairs, because they couldn't sing in most of the time and had no real talent besides a pretty face. Stuck out tongue

• Wow - great post , thank you for sharing.

I bet that there's a fair few tales that you can tell, or how about writing a book "The life of a roadie"?

Reply Children
No Data