How to put self first...?

Hello everyone, 

I hope you're all very well. I'm hear to ask a few people whether there are any tips for, how to put ourselves first sometimes? 

I'm a 38 year old neurodivergent Mother trying to work during school hours, attend college, with a young son and partner ( both neuro divergent) and I'm frazzled with the executive functioning needed to spin these plates. 

As a public service worker I am always the carer and I'm not very skilled at prioritising myself.

If anyone has some helpful and relatable comments to offer it would be welcome to see how other people realistically do this for themselves. 

Kindest Regards

Samantha 

• I think the problem is ,that as autistic poeple, we have spent our lives trying to fit in and generally put others first. Autism also seems to come with extreme empathy which makes us care too much for others. I have found that the only way out is to schedule me time. I know this is difficult. Mindful walks on my own, looking around me and being in the moment. Indeed being in the here and now and conscious of your surroundings can really help to quieten a busy mind.

• Thank you for the response here Relaxed

• I don't really understand how to put myself first, the term kind of confuses me a little, but now that I think about it, and any other phrases that coincide with it,  like "me" time. I think it's just to do something relaxing and enjoyable to you, that recharges you. But I get joy from making others happy, so the phrase "put yourself first" sounds a little selfish to me.  It can also mean something who puts themselves first to disregard other people, and that's not good. But in the context of people who say that because they care about you, I think they just want you to recharge your energy levels and feel refreshed, before taking on those responsibilities again.  It's the reason why people take breaks, or take vacations, it's just a time to enjoy yourself.