ADHD and autism

Hi, 

I've recently been diagnosed with ADHD and autism after a mental breakdown. My life just feels like the two are constantly 'fighting' each other. I am just wondering how other people are coping if they are in the same situation.

I really struggle with anxiety and depression from a young age I'm now 37

Any advice would be appreciated 

Parents
  • Hi Rick,

It can be quite tricky and I'm still in the middle of a burnout episode. I'm 38 and am both too. In some ways I find my life is quite uplifted with having an enhanced sensory side to it, at other times I struggle with the overwhelm of processing too much too quick. What an interesting life I seem to have because of it although stressful sometimes. 

I have forgotten to put in my boundaries for a while which has led to this burnout but one thing that does help is to talk about it with like minded others. I also go through phases of needing to read or listen to audiobooks like Gabor Mate or Thom Hartman, and their more inspirational view of the condition from an evolutionary perspective. As opposed to feeling inadequate through a lens of medicine and some unhelpful stigmatised attachments around disability. The language that gets used can be hard to hear. But those audiobooks always seems to ground me however, and help pull me through a stuck patch, with my acceptance or grief that relates to being neurodivergent and not someone I've been trying to be for too long.

I wouldn't want to impose advice as our lives may be so very different but all I know is that gathering more knowledge on neurodivergence can be a game charger. 

Kindest Regards

Samantha 

• Hi Rick,

It can be quite tricky and I'm still in the middle of a burnout episode. I'm 38 and am both too. In some ways I find my life is quite uplifted with having an enhanced sensory side to it, at other times I struggle with the overwhelm of processing too much too quick. What an interesting life I seem to have because of it although stressful sometimes. 

I have forgotten to put in my boundaries for a while which has led to this burnout but one thing that does help is to talk about it with like minded others. I also go through phases of needing to read or listen to audiobooks like Gabor Mate or Thom Hartman, and their more inspirational view of the condition from an evolutionary perspective. As opposed to feeling inadequate through a lens of medicine and some unhelpful stigmatised attachments around disability. The language that gets used can be hard to hear. But those audiobooks always seems to ground me however, and help pull me through a stuck patch, with my acceptance or grief that relates to being neurodivergent and not someone I've been trying to be for too long.

I wouldn't want to impose advice as our lives may be so very different but all I know is that gathering more knowledge on neurodivergence can be a game charger. 

Kindest Regards

Samantha 

Children
No Data