How are you supposed to do an eye test?

To start, I have had glasses since I was in year 2 (I can't remember how old that is, I think it's 6-7 though) and I am now 21. I know I have been having eye tests for years but I'm starting to think I may have been doing them wrong this whole time and no-one told me. I think this because even when I have my glasses on, things are blurry.

Here's what tends to happen after I have walked in and signed in and someone has come and got me for the eye test:

• When I go into the eye test room, you have your glasses on. This means I have a chance to see the board and know the letters.
  • When they ask me to read the letters without my glasses on, I can't see even the biggest one.
  • I know the shape of the letter and say the letter I think it is based on the shape of it rather than seeing the letter.
  • When they ask you to read as small as you can, I strain my eyes and go to the really small one and read the letters based on the shape of the blobs that are the letters.

I've just always done it, I never considered that I wasn't supposed to do that till I saw somewhere (I can't remember where I saw exactly) that your supposed to relax your eyes.

I am due for an eye test so what should I do? Can someone give me an explanation on how I should actually do it? Should I tell the optician about this? I am so nervous about it now I don't want my prescription to be so much worse than it has been in the past because I have been doing it wrong my whole life.

• The optician should change the sheet between each eye anyway. When you sit down just remind them they should start the exam with a fresh sheet. Most opticians no longer use physical paper or card sheets, they have a computer monitor but they can change the letters on by pressing the button

• My advice is to be completely honest with the optician when you're asked to read the letters out. For example, if I am unable to decipher whether it's the letter 'D' I'm looking at, or the letter 'O', then that is what I will tell the optician. If there are any letters you cannot see clearly, then you need to be upfront and say, rather than trying to guess.

In addition, if you're issued a prescription for new glasses and find that they don't help to improve your vision, then don't be afraid to let the opticians know. It's better than suffering in silence until you're next due to have your eyes tested again.