Manageable jobs for autistic people

I am currently working as an administrator (full time, in person) and am constantly exhausted and overwhelmed. It seems like a job that should be manageable but I am struggling so much and currently on sick leave because of becoming burnt out. I think I need to find a different job because this isn't sustainable for me, but I have no idea what to look for. Does anyone know any jobs that are well suited to autistic adults? 

Parents
  • Does anyone know any jobs that are well suited to autistic adults?

It will very much depend on the autistic traits you have and how severe they are, but I put together a list as part of a "how to find a job" article that I have in progress:

administrative assistant
    analyst
    bus driver
    chemist
    claims processor
    college professor
    computer programmer
    consultant
    creative writer
    customer service representative
    data entry clerk
    editor
    electrician
    engineer
    fine artist
    gardener
    geographic information system (GIS) technician
    graphic artist
    grocery bagger
    laboratory technician
    lawyer
    librarian
    meteorologist
    nurse
    paralegal
    personal assistant
    physician
    physicist
    political canvasser
    production manager
    records manager
    reporter
    retail sales associate
    sales manager
    screenwriter
    sound technician
    supply chain manager
    teacher (adult education)
    teacher (early childhood)
    technical documentation writer
    veterinarian
    warehouse worker
    web developer.

Preferring not to have to interact with others will rule out some jobs (sales for example) or tactile issues with plants / soil / insetct will rule out others (gardener).

Most jobs in IT are now at risk from AI to a degree so unless you already have skills to sell there I would not consider this field.

Your level of education will also have a strong influence (eg not having a relevant degree makes becoming a vet unviable) so it may be best to work through the list, rate each one from possible to impossible (find a scale that works for you) and then look more closely at the ones on the top of the possible range.

That would be my recommendation for finding options.

• I've considered being a personal assistant for myself as a lot of that is typing and I have a very fast wpm. I'm not sure I would cope with the workload and pressure though - but it's something I consider doing.

I've worked in a library, organising the books, directing people to the right sections for the right books, and I loved it! 

• I've considered being a personal assistant for myself as a lot of that is typing and I have a very fast wpm. I'm not sure I would cope with the workload and pressure though - but it's something I consider doing.

I've worked in a library, organising the books, directing people to the right sections for the right books, and I loved it! 

Children
No Data