Manageable jobs for autistic people

I am currently working as an administrator (full time, in person) and am constantly exhausted and overwhelmed. It seems like a job that should be manageable but I am struggling so much and currently on sick leave because of becoming burnt out. I think I need to find a different job because this isn't sustainable for me, but I have no idea what to look for. Does anyone know any jobs that are well suited to autistic adults? 

Parents
  • Hi!

Our autistic community is very diverse, however I think that self employment/freelance works very well for many of us because of the level of autonomy it provides.

For example, I have become involved in writing blogs about my autistic experiences recently and potentially I could pursue this as a paid career.

I hope this helps!

• This is a really good point, thank you. I had tried to pursue freelance work before but found the lack of stability a bit anxiety-inducing. But your comment has made me realise the job I'm in now poses its own problems because the hours are completely wrong for me and there's nothing I can do to change that. I thought because I'm autistic I would like the routine of full-time employment but have learnt this doesn't make sense for me. Thank you for your suggestion, it is really helpful to consider this!

• This is a really good point, thank you. I had tried to pursue freelance work before but found the lack of stability a bit anxiety-inducing.

Yes I understand that, being freelance can mean there is a lot of uncertainty and lack of reliable work/income.

But your comment has made me realise the job I'm in now poses its own problems because the hours are completely wrong for me and there's nothing I can do to change that.

I am glad my comment has made you realise this, after all with self employment at least you can choose your own hours and work when you have the energy. Below I have linked to a related article about an autistic man in self employment and how he can tailor his work around achieving flow states and optimum energy levels:

https://spacedoutandsmiling.com/blog/2021-11-27-staying-put-monotropism-me

Thank you for your suggestion, it is really helpful to consider this!

You are so welcome!

• This is a really good point, thank you. I had tried to pursue freelance work before but found the lack of stability a bit anxiety-inducing.

Yes I understand that, being freelance can mean there is a lot of uncertainty and lack of reliable work/income.

But your comment has made me realise the job I'm in now poses its own problems because the hours are completely wrong for me and there's nothing I can do to change that.

I am glad my comment has made you realise this, after all with self employment at least you can choose your own hours and work when you have the energy. Below I have linked to a related article about an autistic man in self employment and how he can tailor his work around achieving flow states and optimum energy levels:

https://spacedoutandsmiling.com/blog/2021-11-27-staying-put-monotropism-me

Thank you for your suggestion, it is really helpful to consider this!

You are so welcome!

Children
No Data