Manageable jobs for autistic people

I am currently working as an administrator (full time, in person) and am constantly exhausted and overwhelmed. It seems like a job that should be manageable but I am struggling so much and currently on sick leave because of becoming burnt out. I think I need to find a different job because this isn't sustainable for me, but I have no idea what to look for. Does anyone know any jobs that are well suited to autistic adults? 

Parents
  • As others have said, it is a wide question due to the range of different autistic folks, so it really depends on your needs.  It's sometimes suggested to me that I should go for promotion or I look at my peers and see them having "progressed" further than me.  I like a job where I learn something new every day, have supportive colleagues, some flexibility and control over my own work.  Those things are more important to me than promotion or money (as long as I have enough to get by), so the idea at the moment of going for something else feels like a risk and it needs to be the right opportunity.  So I'd start there at what things in a job are most important for you to narrow it down - what things are must haves, what can you live with and what are definitely noes.
    I noticed from your profile that you're an artist and you have interest in social causes.  Might be hard to find but could you consider combining that in some way, I'm thinking working in a gallery or museum, looking at social care, maybe art therapy?  Hours and how flexible you want to be and money of course would also need to be factored in.

Good luck!

• As others have said, it is a wide question due to the range of different autistic folks, so it really depends on your needs.  It's sometimes suggested to me that I should go for promotion or I look at my peers and see them having "progressed" further than me.  I like a job where I learn something new every day, have supportive colleagues, some flexibility and control over my own work.  Those things are more important to me than promotion or money (as long as I have enough to get by), so the idea at the moment of going for something else feels like a risk and it needs to be the right opportunity.  So I'd start there at what things in a job are most important for you to narrow it down - what things are must haves, what can you live with and what are definitely noes.
    I noticed from your profile that you're an artist and you have interest in social causes.  Might be hard to find but could you consider combining that in some way, I'm thinking working in a gallery or museum, looking at social care, maybe art therapy?  Hours and how flexible you want to be and money of course would also need to be factored in.

Good luck!

Children
  • Yes, you're right, I realised it's a bit of a difficult question to answer, we are all so different. Thank you for your suggestions, that is really helpful. I think making a list like you said would definitely help me see things a bit clearer, I think right now I'm struggling to know where to even begin and that's a good idea of how to start, thank you. And yes I used to work at a charity and loved doing something I care about so I like those ideas. I had to leave the charity because the work got too overwhelming and too much drama as well, but I do miss doing something I feel passionate about. Thank you so much for your help