Manageable jobs for autistic people

I am currently working as an administrator (full time, in person) and am constantly exhausted and overwhelmed. It seems like a job that should be manageable but I am struggling so much and currently on sick leave because of becoming burnt out. I think I need to find a different job because this isn't sustainable for me, but I have no idea what to look for. Does anyone know any jobs that are well suited to autistic adults? 

Parents
  • I was in a job which most would think completely unsuitable for an autisic person. However, it allowed me frequent periods through the day when I was alone and in control so could recover. As others have said, we are all different whether we are autisic or not. However  for us autistic it is important to have times through the day when we can recover and de-stress. Also having control can be really helpful which is why self employment is sometimes good. However, dealing with HMIP for tax etc can be very stressful.

• I was in a job which most would think completely unsuitable for an autisic person. However, it allowed me frequent periods through the day when I was alone and in control so could recover. As others have said, we are all different whether we are autisic or not. However  for us autistic it is important to have times through the day when we can recover and de-stress. Also having control can be really helpful which is why self employment is sometimes good. However, dealing with HMIP for tax etc can be very stressful.

Children
  • That's a good point. I definitely struggle in my current role when I'm just in my open-plan office all day with no time to be alone and reset. I often end up having a bad meltdown if I can't have breaks throughout the day. And yes that's tricky about self-employment, I would love to have more flexible working hours and autonomy but the lack of stability is a bit scary