Manageable jobs for autistic people

I am currently working as an administrator (full time, in person) and am constantly exhausted and overwhelmed. It seems like a job that should be manageable but I am struggling so much and currently on sick leave because of becoming burnt out. I think I need to find a different job because this isn't sustainable for me, but I have no idea what to look for. Does anyone know any jobs that are well suited to autistic adults? 

Parents
  • Hi there,

I think the pace in the workplace and the information processing speed at which everything goes at the moment, what with technology and change, and an increase in pressure around boosting the economy is hitting us all. Also, I don't know about you but morale in the room if it is low does impact too. I can do any job (probably not any! you know what I mean though) so long as I have autonomy, a work environment that suits me and my hours are flexible. After years of battling to remain in clinical practice I gave up and realised how much better I can work with better suited conditions. I've not got to the best balance yet but that is what I've learned after some serious burnouts over the years.

I hope you find a change that suits you too. 

Kindest Regards

Samantha 

• Hi there,

I think the pace in the workplace and the information processing speed at which everything goes at the moment, what with technology and change, and an increase in pressure around boosting the economy is hitting us all. Also, I don't know about you but morale in the room if it is low does impact too. I can do any job (probably not any! you know what I mean though) so long as I have autonomy, a work environment that suits me and my hours are flexible. After years of battling to remain in clinical practice I gave up and realised how much better I can work with better suited conditions. I've not got to the best balance yet but that is what I've learned after some serious burnouts over the years.

I hope you find a change that suits you too. 

Kindest Regards

Samantha 

Children
  • Hi Samantha, thank you for your comment. I definitely relate to what you said about the morale in the room. And I think flexible hours sounds super helpful, at the moment it just feels like my body is physically rejecting the hours I'm making myself work, I'm always getting ill and struggling to stay awake at my desk. I definitely think seeking out flexible hours is a good idea for me going forward, thank you. I'm glad you found something better for you, and sorry it took going through such hard times to get there. Wishing you all the best.