Manageable jobs for autistic people

I am currently working as an administrator (full time, in person) and am constantly exhausted and overwhelmed. It seems like a job that should be manageable but I am struggling so much and currently on sick leave because of becoming burnt out. I think I need to find a different job because this isn't sustainable for me, but I have no idea what to look for. Does anyone know any jobs that are well suited to autistic adults? 

Parents
  • Does anyone know any jobs that are well suited to autistic adults? 

Landscape gardener.  Tree Surgeon.  Stonemason.

A late I've been researching doing a stone wall building course.  The money is good, you get to work outside and probably a lot of the time, you get to work on your own away from people.  If you can manage your time well, then maybe a possibility.

Same goes for Tree surgeon.  Do a C&G L2 in Arboriculture and see where it takes you.  The L3 is more interesting, but it takes two years to complete.  On a similar note, the L2 Horticulture might suit you.

Forest Ranger for Forestry Commision, National Trust, etc.

I think the jobs that suit people with ASD are more related to the arts and nature, than working in offices.  You work in offices and you always have stress of some sort and the environments are generally not the best.  Yes you can do it, but what state you come out in is not guaranteed.  I have known a few people that did cyber security and pen testing and they on average made it to three years before complete burnout and two of them had nervous breakdowns.

I used to be a Reach FLT driver and I think if you are a person that can occupy themselves mentally and deal with the boredom it's a pretty easy job.  You go to a pallet, pick it up, take it to racking, store it, rinse repeat.

If you want to make lots of money then art type careers are not going to be your thing unless you paint like a master and have some skill in marketing.  But in terms of job satisfaction, if you build a wall, then that wall might remain there for a long time.  If you plant 100 trees in a field, you have something you can see that shows an achievement.  If I do something and feel accomplishment and I see that thing for years to come, then that represents something real that I did.

Sorry hard to put into words. Slight smile

• Does anyone know any jobs that are well suited to autistic adults? 

Landscape gardener.  Tree Surgeon.  Stonemason.

A late I've been researching doing a stone wall building course.  The money is good, you get to work outside and probably a lot of the time, you get to work on your own away from people.  If you can manage your time well, then maybe a possibility.

Same goes for Tree surgeon.  Do a C&G L2 in Arboriculture and see where it takes you.  The L3 is more interesting, but it takes two years to complete.  On a similar note, the L2 Horticulture might suit you.

Forest Ranger for Forestry Commision, National Trust, etc.

I think the jobs that suit people with ASD are more related to the arts and nature, than working in offices.  You work in offices and you always have stress of some sort and the environments are generally not the best.  Yes you can do it, but what state you come out in is not guaranteed.  I have known a few people that did cyber security and pen testing and they on average made it to three years before complete burnout and two of them had nervous breakdowns.

I used to be a Reach FLT driver and I think if you are a person that can occupy themselves mentally and deal with the boredom it's a pretty easy job.  You go to a pallet, pick it up, take it to racking, store it, rinse repeat.

If you want to make lots of money then art type careers are not going to be your thing unless you paint like a master and have some skill in marketing.  But in terms of job satisfaction, if you build a wall, then that wall might remain there for a long time.  If you plant 100 trees in a field, you have something you can see that shows an achievement.  If I do something and feel accomplishment and I see that thing for years to come, then that represents something real that I did.

Sorry hard to put into words. Slight smile

Children
  • These are really interesting suggestions, thank you. And that's a good point about office jobs. I pursued an office job because I thought it would be less stressful/demanding! I love spreadsheets and organising so I thought it would be just sitting at a desk all day getting on with it, I could never have predicted how wrong I was! So many things to juggle, pressure, office politics, multitasking, fluorescent lights, constant chatter, unbelievably stressful. The social and multitasking elements are the hardest for me I think. I think you're right the office environment isn't good for us. Thank you for your ideas!