My lack of memory affecting marriage

I have so little autobiographical memory. My husband remembers ever & remember hardly anything.  The result of which is that he can remember everything I have ever said or done wrong and I can't remember anything he has done of said wrong. 

He says I have changed since my diagnosis and I am using my autism as an excuse for my poor behaviour.  

I have no idea if he is correct or not but he makes it feel like everything is my fault and his unhappiness is due to me.

Parents
  • My dear, if someone keeps a meticulous track record of everything you've ever said or done that was "wrong," considers your legitimate diagnosis as an "excuse" for "poor behavior," makes everything feel like it's your "fault" and that you're the "cause" of his "unhappiness," and you're generally confused and have "no idea of he is correct or not," then this isn't normal, and it makes me a little afraid for you. You might be experiencing "gaslighting" as well as possible other forms of manipulation. I can't diagnose your husband with anything, but he might have some undiagnosed personality disorder. But I can see from the kinds of things he says to you, that he has the personality of a "Taker," and you probably have the personality of a "Giver" (and those are terms I am allowed to use). Just make sure you're not draining all your energy trying to make him happy, and being taken advantage of.

If your husband can support you and your diagnosis and make you feel comfortable and confident with yourself and who you are, then that is fine, but if he is treating you like an inconvenience and a problem to him and his life, and you're draining yourself to try and make him happy, but he is never happy and keeps putting you down and making you feel like you're always wrong and at fault somehow, then I hope you get some help. I can't advise you to leave him (although that's always an option), but if he keeps treating you poorly, then I hope that you'll get help at the very least. But hopefully he's supporting you and he's there when you need him.  

• My dear, if someone keeps a meticulous track record of everything you've ever said or done that was "wrong," considers your legitimate diagnosis as an "excuse" for "poor behavior," makes everything feel like it's your "fault" and that you're the "cause" of his "unhappiness," and you're generally confused and have "no idea of he is correct or not," then this isn't normal, and it makes me a little afraid for you. You might be experiencing "gaslighting" as well as possible other forms of manipulation. I can't diagnose your husband with anything, but he might have some undiagnosed personality disorder. But I can see from the kinds of things he says to you, that he has the personality of a "Taker," and you probably have the personality of a "Giver" (and those are terms I am allowed to use). Just make sure you're not draining all your energy trying to make him happy, and being taken advantage of.

If your husband can support you and your diagnosis and make you feel comfortable and confident with yourself and who you are, then that is fine, but if he is treating you like an inconvenience and a problem to him and his life, and you're draining yourself to try and make him happy, but he is never happy and keeps putting you down and making you feel like you're always wrong and at fault somehow, then I hope you get some help. I can't advise you to leave him (although that's always an option), but if he keeps treating you poorly, then I hope that you'll get help at the very least. But hopefully he's supporting you and he's there when you need him.  

Children
No Data