Stimming

Can you explain what stimming is in a simple way?

I don't know if I stim

I know I make a noise with my breathing through my nose, but I don't know why I do it. 

When I'm in bed I like to rub my foot on the sheets. I know this makes me relax and calms me. Is that a stim?

I used to suck my thumb and touch a cold pillow with the back of my hand when I was a child. I know this relaxed me when I was younger

What else could me a stim? 

Parents Reply
  • I also love to run my hand over things when I'm out - grasses are my favourite especially the fluffy ones but a bush or wall will do too, I just like to touch things!

Yes I get that! Some textures such as grass are really stimmy!

My favourite stims are listening to the same song on repeat (currently ‘Bed on Fire’ by Teddy Swims) and making noises.

Children
  • At the moment my go to tracks are Epica "Rivers" or Nightwish "The Crow, The Owl and The Dove" Bird

• I've been listening to the same music for about 20 years, apparently I should be bored of it but I'm not. There are a few tracks that I listen to on repeat, it makes me really excited and a bit hyper

Yes listening to the same music is definitely a stim! It’s very pleasing and soothing to have predictable input that you know all the words to.

What are your favourite tracks?

There are other tracks that I listen to when I'm working because they allow me to focus - sometimes an intense kind of focus but at least I get lots done! Never thought about it as a stim but it certainly makes sense. 

Yes certain music can definitely help me get into a flow state.

• I've been listening to the same music for about 20 years, apparently I should be bored of it but I'm not. There are a few tracks that I listen to on repeat, it makes me really excited and a bit hyper Smile There are other tracks that I listen to when I'm working because they allow me to focus - sometimes an intense kind of focus but at least I get lots done! Never thought about it as a stim but it certainly makes sense.