NHS diagnosis, any advice after 4 years wait!

Out of the blue I finally have a NHS  ASD appointment next month after going to my GP in January 2020! The crazy thing is last year my GP refered me to psychiatry-uk through right to choose and I am also on their waiting list, what a waste of effort that was. Initially I was told 2 years so its been double that plus two months.

Has anybody done a NHS assment reciently? Mine is through Surrey and Borders Patnership and it says this is a initial one hour video appointment followed by a two hour appointment a couple of weeks later. I will do the initial one online but am minded to try and do the second face to face because I want them to see eyecontact and body language. I am worried that they will see a 'normal' person if I am not there face to face and try and take off the mask. I desperatly want to be diagnosed.

thanks

Rob

Parents
  • I waited for four years for an NHS assessment after self-referring to the local aspergers service, as it is still called. In April I got a letter asking if I wanted to be seen privately and I was seen, assessed and diagnosed within six weeks. The waiting times are very long so our local NHS has begun to offload some of these to private providers. It was very efficiently done. Had i known about right to choose I would have done that sooner.

• I had big issues getting my GP to refer me to right to choose. They lost the paper work first time so that lost 3 months and by that time Psychiatry-uk had a massive waiting list as so many GP's were refering to them.

• Hi everyone 

I have battled hard to get my little boy an assessment and was referred to the community paediatric assessment service NHS. After finding out it was a 3 year wait (when I was originally told 6 months) I went back to the Gp to request a right to choose.

After being told that they were not aware of this I found Clinical Partners and contacted them. I basically printed off all the paperwork and a how to for the Gp and went back to hand them over to him. He has done a complete u turn and has submitted the forms for a right to choose. It looks like a 3 month wait for this now which is such a relief.

All I can say is persistence has paid off in this case and doing my homework has pushed the Gp to not being able to refuse it. Hopefully if all goes well I can then start my journey to getting a diagnosis. 
    Im happy to hear you have finally got your assessment Rob and wish you the best of luck!! 

• Hi everyone 

I have battled hard to get my little boy an assessment and was referred to the community paediatric assessment service NHS. After finding out it was a 3 year wait (when I was originally told 6 months) I went back to the Gp to request a right to choose.

After being told that they were not aware of this I found Clinical Partners and contacted them. I basically printed off all the paperwork and a how to for the Gp and went back to hand them over to him. He has done a complete u turn and has submitted the forms for a right to choose. It looks like a 3 month wait for this now which is such a relief.

All I can say is persistence has paid off in this case and doing my homework has pushed the Gp to not being able to refuse it. Hopefully if all goes well I can then start my journey to getting a diagnosis. 
    Im happy to hear you have finally got your assessment Rob and wish you the best of luck!! 

Children
No Data