Preparing for PIP assessment - What to expect/traps?

At the start of this year I decided to take the step to apply for PIP, my research kept telling me there's a slim chance of success first time around so I'm mentally preparing myself for rejection and appeal anyway. Regardless, I still want to give myself the best possible shot by being clear, honest and hopefully not miscommunicating myself too much as being able to do things I cannot. This is the one thing I'm having a lot of trouble preparing for both mentally and practically, the assessment. Citizens Advice have been helping me with the application and the phone call I had with them to go through the form was difficult and draining enough and that's with someone who was doing their best to try and help me and gave me helpfully leading questions to get important information out of my which I likely wouldn't have thought to (or had the confidence to) mention without those leading questions. I actually feel some guilt over being so stressed because thinking back the guy who went through the form with me was really kind and helpful. The thing is, I can easily fall into leading questions and I do worry that the assessor who, unlike CAB, is not rearly there to help or guide me and is likely trying to trip me up and try and make me say enough wrong to where I don't appear to score a single point. I guess I'm just looking to understand what exactly I'm to expect, what common traps they may lay I should be aware of, any common trick questions that I can/should refuse etc. because I feel like I'll answer anything, and I might not be willing to add additional information beyond a 'yes' to one of their trap questions.

Parents
  • Where do I start!

Good to have someone with you.

You can record the interview but you have to have a tape machine that can record two tapes at the same time, so that one can be retained by the PIP assessor, if you don’t have one, then they won’t allow you to record the assessment. I can’t remember where I bought mine but it wasn’t difficult to find, probably googled. You also need to give them advance warning so that they know it’s your intention.

Even though they tell you that the assessor is qualified to make an informed opinion, ask to see some proof of their suitability. If they ask why, say you want reassuring that they are what they say they are because they have the power to deny you your rights!

They clearly have a checklist of signs to look out for, to determine whether you have ‘Mental Health’ issues, I use that term just for convenience, I’m not suggesting you do but it will be something they look for to make a determination and decision.

While I don’t know what that checklist consists of, some of the things they’ve turned me down in the past,

1. I didn't rock

2. I was able to make eye contact

3. I was too well kept in my appearance, clean clothes, looked clean and washed.

4. I spoke too well able to hold a conversation and I was coherent 

These are just some of the things they’ve used against me.

If you get offered an assessment in person or online, online might be better because you can always say you get anxious travelling by bus, tube or train, even taxi because of strangers.

Whichever you go for, make sure you look uncomfortable, fidget, don’t make continuous eye contact, keep looking away or down. Make sure your appearance looks scruffy even dirty, clothes, hair etc.,

Basically present the worse case scenario, even if things aren’t too bad at the moment. Don’t say anything positive be very negative about every thing and really lay it on thick.

While you may think what I’m suggesting is dishonest, you have to play the game, to beat them at their own.

Their remit is to make it as difficult for claimants, the form itself is a nightmare, for people like us, they know that and it’s part of their attempt to put people off or to stress them out so much they don’t bother or give up.

You’ll likely be rejected first time, this is another tactic, knowing a lot of people will accept their decision. Don’t be put off, do appeal. This may also be rejected on the same grounds.

Don't give up, again they’ll be relying on people to do so. Tell them it’s your intention to take it to the Independent Tribunal. I’ve done this on two occasions, it’s never got that far, they’ve always backed down and miraculously they’ve suddenly found things that now qualify you/me!

It’s deliberate behaviour to make it as hard as possible.

While I realise if you go through with my suggestions, it can be exhausting and extremely tough on you but stick up for yourself, you deserve it.

If you can also get supporting letters, it’s a good idea, doctor, relevant people and list people they can contact for more information. Even though they will probably not take these up, you can always ask if they did and if they say no, then use that to pressurise them into doing so.

I know this is a lot of work for you but please let me reiterate you have to play their game and stick up for yourself and it’s not being dishonest, they force people to take this drastic behaviour because of their own behaviour and ignorance.

Hope that helps and good luck.

• Don’t say anything positive be very negative about every thing and really lay it on thick.

Probably my main weakness usually with things like this is I naturally feel like I want to downplay things and present myself better than I am but I've been taking down lots of notes and I'm hoping to make use of them like cues to make sure I'm saying all the negatives I need to say.

• Don’t say anything positive be very negative about every thing and really lay it on thick.

Probably my main weakness usually with things like this is I naturally feel like I want to downplay things and present myself better than I am but I've been taking down lots of notes and I'm hoping to make use of them like cues to make sure I'm saying all the negatives I need to say.

Children
No Data