Light sensitives- how are you coping this winter?

It's either wrap up warm and spend time outside or Wetherspoons. I'm particularly bummed out about libraries. I love libraries but every single one is kitted out with flourescent lights and in the winter even the ones with big windows and natural light have them on all day. My county has an access scheme where if you can't access libraries a volunteer can select books for you and bring them to your house. So I'm going to sign up for this. I still can't access research materials I need to be in the actual library to access, but it might help with the isolation. Apparently they often stick around for a cup of tea and a chat.

It makes me feel like I want to go on holiday somewhere where the libraries have autistic friendly design but I'm not sure if there is a single one that exists yet? The best libraries I ever went to are in Denmark but they still have florescent lights.

Parents
  • Don't get me started! I like the dark but it seems no one else around here does. It's the white LED lights I struggle with. There's too much light pollution and its rmessing with nature. Don't go to the libraries cos most have been closed here.

• Don't get me started! I like the dark but it seems no one else around here does. It's the white LED lights I struggle with. There's too much light pollution and its rmessing with nature. Don't go to the libraries cos most have been closed here.

Children
  • totally agree. White LEDs are the worst. I hate the ones on the side of cabinets in shops. They're just lasers. They're so painful. It's got so much worse in the last 5 years, I feel like I'm being quietly pushed out of society.

SUCKS about library closures, I'm so sorry to hear that.

The good side of this is that it's made me motivated to become better at spending extended time outdoors in nature.