Late diagnosed autistic

Howdy, I am late diagnosed autistic. As in I was diagnosed only three months ago, and I'm 25. I'm navigating life as a newly diagnosed person. I was misdiagnosed with BPD, which is common for for afab autistics. Finally having found a therapist that is willing and helpfully working with me and my long list of trauma and diagnoses has really helped. Growing up was really really hard and I never knew why. It's so validating and comforting to have an explanation for why I was so alienated, abused and bullied. I guess my question is how did others cope and grieve their undiagnosed childhoods and the trauma that caused?

Parents
  • Hello,

I was diagnosed late at age 38 and suffered during my childhood and adulthood.  Diagnosis allowed me to understand why I always felt different. I too, am undergoing therapy and wish you well with yours. I do not dwell on my childhood as I cannot go back nor should you. I can only move forward and am keen to campaign on autism matters. Being positive and getting out and meeting other autistics helps. I wish you well on your diagnosis and journey of discovery.   

• Hello,

I was diagnosed late at age 38 and suffered during my childhood and adulthood.  Diagnosis allowed me to understand why I always felt different. I too, am undergoing therapy and wish you well with yours. I do not dwell on my childhood as I cannot go back nor should you. I can only move forward and am keen to campaign on autism matters. Being positive and getting out and meeting other autistics helps. I wish you well on your diagnosis and journey of discovery.   

Children
No Data