Applying for PIP support

Hi Folks, I am an 29 year old male who has Aspergers. I've had PIP in the past, but I was taken off of it in 2019, and due to family circumstances, including a death in the family, I never chased it. I've recived the forms and I'm getting help from CAB to fill them in. I don't have a lot in the way of evidence but I do have a diagnosis, I have IBS and Anxiety/Depression. 

Should I bother and write how it affects me? Because I don't have a ton of evidence. 

Parents
  • It's 100% worth trying, and it sounds like you deserve and need that support. 

My own experience of PIP applying so far is that the first assessment is really an attempt to discourage you, and insufficient points will be awarded. (exceptions are, for the autistic, rare as I understand it)

However, you are then entitled to a mandatory reconsideration which you must ask for. Please don't give up after 'round one' and do ask for the MR as that seems to be where they begin to take you seriously. It's also where you should produce additional evidence if you have it - even if that's a letter from a sibling, parent, whoever can give an account of your struggles and their role in helping you. 

I'm going through my MR process now, and have no idea how it will go. If it fails to get me PIP, I'll try the tribunal/hearing that is the third and final 'round' one is allowed in the process. That supposedly has someone with a disability (ideally autism) on the panel, so is probably where some real nuance of understanding of your lived experience would come in. And, fingers crossed for you, they'd then give you the points you need. 

Best of luck. I hope you don't need to jump through all three hoops, but if you do... keep up the fight!  

• It's 100% worth trying, and it sounds like you deserve and need that support. 

My own experience of PIP applying so far is that the first assessment is really an attempt to discourage you, and insufficient points will be awarded. (exceptions are, for the autistic, rare as I understand it)

However, you are then entitled to a mandatory reconsideration which you must ask for. Please don't give up after 'round one' and do ask for the MR as that seems to be where they begin to take you seriously. It's also where you should produce additional evidence if you have it - even if that's a letter from a sibling, parent, whoever can give an account of your struggles and their role in helping you. 

I'm going through my MR process now, and have no idea how it will go. If it fails to get me PIP, I'll try the tribunal/hearing that is the third and final 'round' one is allowed in the process. That supposedly has someone with a disability (ideally autism) on the panel, so is probably where some real nuance of understanding of your lived experience would come in. And, fingers crossed for you, they'd then give you the points you need. 

Best of luck. I hope you don't need to jump through all three hoops, but if you do... keep up the fight!  

Children
No Data