What does it mean to be neurodiversity affirmative?

I happened upon this recent article, on the website of The British Psychological Society, and thought it was well worth sharing.

https://www.bps.org.uk/psychologist/what-does-it-mean-be-neurodiversity-affirmative

Parents
  • Thanks for sharing Autonomistic!

In the article there is a section on the value of disabled lives, however I don’t think that being autistic means I or any other autistic person is disabled. I prefer to use the term neurodivergent as being autistic is actually very enabling. By the way neurodivergent is a neutral term just meaning having a mind that significantly diverges from the neuromajority.

I am aware that many of us in this autistic community have co-occurring needs/experiences and therefore may identify as disabled. What do you think about this?

Do you identify as disabled? I don’t think it is helpful to automatically assume that our autistic community identifies this way as we are literally neurologically different which naturally comes with so many benefits and to be autistic is my natural way of being.

• In a perfect 'Autopia' where society would be set up to accommodate the needs of all autistic people and more understanding then maybe we wouldn't be disabled.

'Disability is the experience of any condition that makes it more difficult for a person to do certain activities or have equitable access within a given society.'

The society we are given certainly makes a lot of things very difficult for us autists, as demonstrated on these forums alone! I believe that many autists are at a huge disadvantage. You only have to look at the statistics on rates of employment to see that. Being treated as a misfit and othered can be a daily experience for many autistic people throughout their lives. The sensory environment alone can be very disabling. Sadly autistic people tend to suffer much poorer mental health as a result of many of these factors.

I agree with Debbie that we need the protections and allowances that being classed as disabled affords. This topic has been debated on here a few times before and I have made my own personal view clear then.

I don’t think it is helpful to automatically assume that our autistic community identifies this way

In terms of what the article says then it does state that "It is an Autistic person’s right to choose if they identify as disabled." There is no automatic assumption made. 

• In a perfect 'Autopia' where society would be set up to accommodate the needs of all autistic people and more understanding then maybe we wouldn't be disabled.

'Disability is the experience of any condition that makes it more difficult for a person to do certain activities or have equitable access within a given society.'

The society we are given certainly makes a lot of things very difficult for us autists, as demonstrated on these forums alone! I believe that many autists are at a huge disadvantage. You only have to look at the statistics on rates of employment to see that. Being treated as a misfit and othered can be a daily experience for many autistic people throughout their lives. The sensory environment alone can be very disabling. Sadly autistic people tend to suffer much poorer mental health as a result of many of these factors.

I agree with Debbie that we need the protections and allowances that being classed as disabled affords. This topic has been debated on here a few times before and I have made my own personal view clear then.

I don’t think it is helpful to automatically assume that our autistic community identifies this way

In terms of what the article says then it does state that "It is an Autistic person’s right to choose if they identify as disabled." There is no automatic assumption made. 

Children
  • Thanks for your perspective and the clarification.

I completely understand what you mean, our current society is not very autistic friendly. In terms of employment rates, obviously they only reflect members of our autistic community who are formally identified (diagnosed) as opposed to so many of us who are self identified, so they may not be that accurate. However, I still appreciate that employment rates for our community are low.