What does it mean to be neurodiversity affirmative?

I happened upon this recent article, on the website of The British Psychological Society, and thought it was well worth sharing.

https://www.bps.org.uk/psychologist/what-does-it-mean-be-neurodiversity-affirmative

Parents
  • Thanks for sharing Autonomistic!

In the article there is a section on the value of disabled lives, however I don’t think that being autistic means I or any other autistic person is disabled. I prefer to use the term neurodivergent as being autistic is actually very enabling. By the way neurodivergent is a neutral term just meaning having a mind that significantly diverges from the neuromajority.

I am aware that many of us in this autistic community have co-occurring needs/experiences and therefore may identify as disabled. What do you think about this?

Do you identify as disabled? I don’t think it is helpful to automatically assume that our autistic community identifies this way as we are literally neurologically different which naturally comes with so many benefits and to be autistic is my natural way of being.

• I think being autistic ultimately is disabling, for me anyway. I'll always be autistic and therefore struggle with social nuances and other things.

It's hard to not place my importance of having my meals at a set time (to the point it could be harmful) as anything else.

• I think being autistic ultimately is disabling, for me anyway. I'll always be autistic and therefore struggle with social nuances and other things.

It's hard to not place my importance of having my meals at a set time (to the point it could be harmful) as anything else.

Children