Mental illness is still massively misunderstood

There is still almost no science behind it and the majority of pscyhiatrists and nurses, GPs too, routinely misdiagnose people.

A lot of people who are considered mentally ill actually have progressive diseases. 

Where are the scientific tests? People visit a psychiatrist and they do not have their brain scanned.

Surely we should be developing psychiatry into a more robust, technically precise science in the same way we progressed physical healthcare from prescribing herbs to the array of devices used today.

Parents
  • I keep saying that the DSM is like a tome of superficial criteria which are used to make profound assumptions about human beings. How does that differ from the concept of prejudice?

I won't say that psychiatry is totally without merit, but it does get abused.

• In my experience, my gut instinct is to agree with your take on this - back in the day, being gay used to be regarded as a mental disorder and even though some would love to see it being returned to that, it’s never going to happen 

• Well, that's disagreement as to what should be considered faulty or pathological. The fundamental problem is that they have no idea how the mind works, and they have this manual that approaches the mind like a black box and makes very aggressive assumptions about it using a logical process which is identical to that which gives rise to prejudice. If someone doesn't like you, they can very easily pretend you have conditions you don't, and it's not logically falsifiable, i.e. via blood test.

• Well, that's disagreement as to what should be considered faulty or pathological. The fundamental problem is that they have no idea how the mind works, and they have this manual that approaches the mind like a black box and makes very aggressive assumptions about it using a logical process which is identical to that which gives rise to prejudice. If someone doesn't like you, they can very easily pretend you have conditions you don't, and it's not logically falsifiable, i.e. via blood test.

Children
No Data