Mental illness is still massively misunderstood

There is still almost no science behind it and the majority of pscyhiatrists and nurses, GPs too, routinely misdiagnose people.

A lot of people who are considered mentally ill actually have progressive diseases. 

Where are the scientific tests? People visit a psychiatrist and they do not have their brain scanned.

Surely we should be developing psychiatry into a more robust, technically precise science in the same way we progressed physical healthcare from prescribing herbs to the array of devices used today.

Parents
  • It is an interesting topic of study.

I researched some solutions to poor mental health on my urban planning and design undergraduate degree. 

I found a lot of problems could be resolved by implementing place-based solutions such as community gardens due to them having many benefits, be it social, environmental or economic. 

I don't think drugs will solve the answer to mental health issues. My nan suffered from mental health issues, which I now believe is linked to her having high brain activity, autism and a fixed interest in computers and programming. She was given drugs to suppress her issues which in turn did not make her better, but possibly worse. 

More understanding of neurodiversity is required, and further study on how to create a more inclusive world for neurodiverse individuals. And to properly accommodate those with mental health issues, and not to isolate them because society views them as a burden which cannot be fixed. 

• It is an interesting topic of study.

I researched some solutions to poor mental health on my urban planning and design undergraduate degree. 

I found a lot of problems could be resolved by implementing place-based solutions such as community gardens due to them having many benefits, be it social, environmental or economic. 

I don't think drugs will solve the answer to mental health issues. My nan suffered from mental health issues, which I now believe is linked to her having high brain activity, autism and a fixed interest in computers and programming. She was given drugs to suppress her issues which in turn did not make her better, but possibly worse. 

More understanding of neurodiversity is required, and further study on how to create a more inclusive world for neurodiverse individuals. And to properly accommodate those with mental health issues, and not to isolate them because society views them as a burden which cannot be fixed. 

Children
No Data