Mental illness is still massively misunderstood

There is still almost no science behind it and the majority of pscyhiatrists and nurses, GPs too, routinely misdiagnose people.

A lot of people who are considered mentally ill actually have progressive diseases. 

Where are the scientific tests? People visit a psychiatrist and they do not have their brain scanned.

Surely we should be developing psychiatry into a more robust, technically precise science in the same way we progressed physical healthcare from prescribing herbs to the array of devices used today.

Parents
  • The problem is that the only evidence they usually have is our self-reported experience which is often misleading or inaccurate and certainly won’t provide a complete picture (if I said I had a sore tummy that would be my experience, but there are probably dozens of possible causes).

I really hope that machine learning applied to brain scans might be able to turn psychology into a hard science instead of whatever the heck it is now.

• The problem is that the only evidence they usually have is our self-reported experience which is often misleading or inaccurate and certainly won’t provide a complete picture (if I said I had a sore tummy that would be my experience, but there are probably dozens of possible causes).

I really hope that machine learning applied to brain scans might be able to turn psychology into a hard science instead of whatever the heck it is now.

Children
No Data