Mental illness is still massively misunderstood

There is still almost no science behind it and the majority of pscyhiatrists and nurses, GPs too, routinely misdiagnose people.

A lot of people who are considered mentally ill actually have progressive diseases. 

Where are the scientific tests? People visit a psychiatrist and they do not have their brain scanned.

Surely we should be developing psychiatry into a more robust, technically precise science in the same way we progressed physical healthcare from prescribing herbs to the array of devices used today.

Parents
  • I dont claim to know a lot about the subject, but, i am begining to think that many diagnosed with a nental health condition, have a neurodevelopmental condition. Misdiagnosis is keeping the mental health practitioners in jobs. Prescriptions are handed out to easily. My feelings are very mixed, from anger to liberation. At 59 finding out that i am autistic. Repeatedly prescribed antidepressants, switched from one to anither every time i had a melt down. I didnt know. My brother was diagnosed with ADHD last week. He was diagnosed as autistic last year, aged 60! Repeatedly told he has a typical personality disorder! I know velieve i also have ADHD. OMG. What will i do now? Seek a diagnosis and get the correct treatment, i have nothing to loose now. I am dismayed. Years ago, like my mother, and many others we would have been placed in a mental institution, drugged. People are still being wrongly drugged. I think you can tell how i feel about this. My respect for mental health practitioners has gone. 

• My instinct is that so-called mental healthcare “professionals” start from a standpoint of point-blank refusal to understand anything about mental health conditions including autism and if they are not encouraging a culture of ridiculing and bullying of people with ASD, they are dismissing as “nonsense” and discrediting everything that we say, with statements along the lines of “you don’t understand that you are the only one that is wrong by default and that everyone else is always right” and as far as they are concerned, if only we would just “keep quiet” and just be “seen and not heard” in all instances, by default, regardless of the facts and circumstances, one size fits all, which they are fully prepared to rigidly enforce by all means, however abhorrent 

• My instinct is that so-called mental healthcare “professionals” start from a standpoint of point-blank refusal to understand anything about mental health conditions including autism and if they are not encouraging a culture of ridiculing and bullying of people with ASD, they are dismissing as “nonsense” and discrediting everything that we say, with statements along the lines of “you don’t understand that you are the only one that is wrong by default and that everyone else is always right” and as far as they are concerned, if only we would just “keep quiet” and just be “seen and not heard” in all instances, by default, regardless of the facts and circumstances, one size fits all, which they are fully prepared to rigidly enforce by all means, however abhorrent 

Children
No Data