Older parents

The article linked below suggests that the children of older parents may be more likely to be autistic. It caught my eye because my dad was almost 50 when I was born and his own father was a similar age when my dad was born.

I’ve always assumed that it just took them longer to have families because they too were autistic (my dad certainly was) but the article suggests that older parents accumulate more mutations which they pass to their children. 

Were your parents older when they had you?

https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/link-parental-age-autism-explained/ 

Parents
  • My parents were both in their mid thirties when they had me which was considered a later birth. My autistic sister was born a few years before me, my parents were about 30-31 at the time.

I wonder if this is the case for many on the spectrum? Thank you for sharing the article, it made intriguing reading and left me wondering.

• My parents were both in their mid thirties when they had me which was considered a later birth. My autistic sister was born a few years before me, my parents were about 30-31 at the time.

I wonder if this is the case for many on the spectrum? Thank you for sharing the article, it made intriguing reading and left me wondering.

Children
No Data