Worries about the future

I'm heavily dependent on my parents. I have autism and am classed as low functioning I guess? I'm not sure how that works but I'm also affected by my anxiety, depression and mental health struggles.

Growing up I dreamed of working and being married by my mid twenties. I'm nearly thirty and I haven't got a job, no husband or any friends. I spent most of my twenties in a mental health hospital and only got back home last year at the start of December. In the hospital it gave me a lot of time to think and I see how dependent I am on those around me and that I have no idea how to look after myself.

It's left me wondering what I'll do when my family aren't around anymore.

Ideally I'll be in my own place but not working and with my struggles I don't know how realistic that is unless I can somehow turn my life around. Otherwise it seems highly probable that I'll end up sectioned again and spend the rest of my life in a hospital. I thought hospital was where I would be spending the rest of my life but my parents fought so hard to get me home but one day I won't have them to fight for me.

It's a worry for me. Things are ok at the moment but I can't keep relying on them, it isn't fair on them and I feel bad that they have to take care of me.

I've tried helping myself before but I really struggle with so many things and it makes me frustrated.

Parents
  • I'm sorry to read what you've been through. That's terrible but I'm glad you're home safe and sound once again. That shows how much your parents love you, to fight for you all that time. I'm pretty sure my mum would have left me if she had half the chance ;) 

I know the future is scary but try to focus on the here and now and not worry about what's going to happen. It's easier said than done I know but worrying could make you ill and it will certainly make your present miserable and you deserve better than that. 

One thing your parents could do to settle your worries is to try and get a support prepared for when it's needed, maybe like an independent living flat where you live independently but there's someone to help and call if needed. Your parents could check with the GP or Citizens Advice for guidance on this.

But for the meantime look after yourself, enjoy life and try not to worry. It's all going to be okay. Keep being amazing.

• I'm sorry to read what you've been through. That's terrible but I'm glad you're home safe and sound once again. That shows how much your parents love you, to fight for you all that time. I'm pretty sure my mum would have left me if she had half the chance ;) 

I know the future is scary but try to focus on the here and now and not worry about what's going to happen. It's easier said than done I know but worrying could make you ill and it will certainly make your present miserable and you deserve better than that. 

One thing your parents could do to settle your worries is to try and get a support prepared for when it's needed, maybe like an independent living flat where you live independently but there's someone to help and call if needed. Your parents could check with the GP or Citizens Advice for guidance on this.

But for the meantime look after yourself, enjoy life and try not to worry. It's all going to be okay. Keep being amazing.

Children