Support worker and Hyper empathic

Hi,

I've always been drawn to helping people.

I'm considering a career as a support worker, but I find it hard to control my emotions sometimes. I really can't envisage myself doing anything else. 

I either need to find a way or I rethink my career.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated. X

Parents
  • I too have been trying to make a career switch to support worker roles! Mainly mental health peer support. I actually got an interview for a role with a mental health charity, unfortunately I didn't get the position as they felt I may need to focus more on my own recovery and emotional resilience. Which, if I'm honest, they were completely right with.

Ive actually got involved in a voluntary role as a peer support volunteer. I've went through the training, which has been super useful. Now jsut waiting to be matched with someone to support! Maybe, if there's similar volunteer roles near your area, you could give this a go too? It's a good way to learn more and gain experience of what the role would be like as a career. Would also definitely help you get into the career having had experience.

I  feel it is an absolute requirement to be empathic if you want to be a good support worker, so this isnt an aspect of yourself you should put down. Emotional resilience doesn't mean not having empathy, I think it just means utilising that empathy in a person focused, practical way that can provide support in the way the person needs and wants.

Good luck on your journey and please let us know how your getting on with it! 

• Thank you. 

I do plan to go down the volunteer route first.

Currently I'm making my way towards gaining a mental health qualification, through my local College. I should complete this by Easter. 

I'll feel more equipped then. And will then apply for local positions.

• Thank you. 

I do plan to go down the volunteer route first.

Currently I'm making my way towards gaining a mental health qualification, through my local College. I should complete this by Easter. 

I'll feel more equipped then. And will then apply for local positions.

Children
No Data