Light sensitivity - car headlights

This winter I've noticed a significant change in car headlights, many seem to be a different type of light which is much more dazzling than I've noticed in previous years. I am interested to understand where to go to follow-up, ideally I would want to find an organisation that understands the issues and can advocate/discuss the issue with car manufacturers or regulators. If anyone can recommend where to find relevant organisation/service I would be most grateful as my research skills are extremely limited.

Parents
  • Yeah theses lights became common a couple of years ago here. They're really bad. Also cyclists use very bright LED lights which tend to be at eye level and often flash!

So bike lights aren't regulated but car lights are. When I looked into it regarding car lights the issue seemed to be that the LEDs are somehow apparently the same level of lumens as the old lights, or there is a limit in lumens to how bright they can be, but people are perceiving LEDs as brighter than non-LEDs of the same amount of lumens. So basically they're saying "they're not bright, you just think they are."

But they are getting a lot of complaints about it, and it's not just autistic people, all drivers are struggling with this. So I don't know what will happen. There is a bit of a capitalist thing of Brighter is Better, i imagine bright lights sell more cars. I ride a scooter and I just have to slow down and keep to the line of the road until I can see again. I was cycling in a big city when they first became a thing, I used to swerve off the road, came off my bike once... but now I'm used to it I'm not dealing with the shock of being dazzled and I can stay calm and just hope nothing unexpected crosses my path while I can't see!

One thing I've never been able to find out is how many accidents are happening because of this. Maybe the thing to do would be to find an investigative journalist who's interested in finding this out.

• Yeah theses lights became common a couple of years ago here. They're really bad. Also cyclists use very bright LED lights which tend to be at eye level and often flash!

So bike lights aren't regulated but car lights are. When I looked into it regarding car lights the issue seemed to be that the LEDs are somehow apparently the same level of lumens as the old lights, or there is a limit in lumens to how bright they can be, but people are perceiving LEDs as brighter than non-LEDs of the same amount of lumens. So basically they're saying "they're not bright, you just think they are."

But they are getting a lot of complaints about it, and it's not just autistic people, all drivers are struggling with this. So I don't know what will happen. There is a bit of a capitalist thing of Brighter is Better, i imagine bright lights sell more cars. I ride a scooter and I just have to slow down and keep to the line of the road until I can see again. I was cycling in a big city when they first became a thing, I used to swerve off the road, came off my bike once... but now I'm used to it I'm not dealing with the shock of being dazzled and I can stay calm and just hope nothing unexpected crosses my path while I can't see!

One thing I've never been able to find out is how many accidents are happening because of this. Maybe the thing to do would be to find an investigative journalist who's interested in finding this out.

Children
No Data