David Byrne - Aspergers/Autistic/Art

David Byrne is a favourite musician/artist of mine who identifies with Aspergers/Autism and seems somehow to have made the most of what he calls his 'Super Power'.

That's not to say it's been easy for him but I guess, or at least I'm thinking, if I can stop seeing my own Aspergers as a hindrance and negative and try and tap into the more positive aspects that being on the spectrum 'can' offer, then hopefully it can improve my own relationship with it.

I'm fairly recent to my diagnosis but I've already recognised the influence its had on my own art/creativity, without realising it. Now, my greater understanding of what it brings, in so many aspects, is truly rewarding. Of course it's not always easy to remain in that frame of mind because being on the spectrum has its many challengers.

I remember listening to Michael Caine when talking about his acting approach, he said, he was once told by a director to, 'use the difficulty' and I think that's something I could adopt, and 'use the difficulty' that being on the spectrum brings, to my own benefit.

Easier said than done I know but worth a try?

I'm now going to watch his, American Utopia, on Amazon Prime. I've seen it before and found it very uplifting! 

• I was lucky enough to see them on that tour in london and I’ve watched the rockumentary many times I never grow tired of it.

Even though he doesn’t ever mention the term Autism/Aspergers in American Utopia there are many references to it throughout. I find it an uplifting performance/film.

In some interviews he reflects on the casualties he’s left behind because of his behaviour and not being an easy guy. I can relate to that and of course none intentional.

So, yes, definitely, all hail Mr Byrne!

it’s good that you’ve found writing, any particular style or genre?

• Yeah, I saw Stop Making Sense at the cinema last year. He wasn't aware in 1983 of his autism, but you can see it in his performance. It's pretty obvious! American Utopia is fantastic, too.

ASD has certain benefits, for sure, if you apply them correctly in this hard-right capitalist society. I'm highly creative and can hyper-focus on tasks, so I've built a career as a writer effectively. Everything else has been rather difficult, though.

Talking Heads' music has made things more bearable over the years. All hail, David Byrne! Quite a good video on it here.