Informal chat.. What does that mean

I've been asked to go for an informal chat regarding a job I've applied for. I'm stuck, I don't know what that is or what to say. Can anyone help? I usually have a script and practice before I meet new people but this has really thrown me, I've no idea what to do

• I've had a lot of these over the years, if it's early on in your interview stage it just means a more "getting to know you" style of chat. So you can forget about some of the more professional formalities from other interview stages. Just relax with it and be yourself.

I had one of these yesterday for a role I applied for. The first stage is often just treated as an informal chitchat to see if you're a good culture fit for the team. 

• they dont want to classify it as a interview so you cant claim they picked unfairly or discriminated against you in any way.

Don't be silly. You often jump to the doomsday scenario, it's not a healthy habit you've got there. What you've experienced doesn't automatically apply to everyone else's context. 

And discrimination doesn't just suddenly stop applying as they've branded something an "informal chat".

That'd be pretty devastating for society as a loophole if you could spout a load of hate speech under the bracket of it being an "informal" situation. 

• it means its a interview but they dont want to classify it as a interview so you cant claim they picked unfairly or discriminated against you in any way.

i had one such "informal chat" for a promotion to determine who gets it and ofcourse its a informal chat because they already said theyd rather quit than see me be promoted so they already pre chosen this other guy for it and are discriminating against me, but because its not a  interview and its just a chat to determine who gets it i couldnt appeal it or claim discrimination lol

• It just means the chat will be to decide if they want to offer you a job interview.

• It means " off the record ".
    It will not be officially noted.