Can a none autistic parent have an autistic child?

Is it possible that for none autistic parents have an autistic child?

so if parents and grandparents don’t have autism is it possible for the kid to have it? I’m only asking cos there’s a lot of discussion on ahem (Tiktok) highlighting autism is genetic (correct) but what is also being shown is that parents of autistic children are also autistic but in denial and a lot of the family members actually have traits… soo that leads to my question of can a child have autism when no one in the family even has traits of it?? 

Parents
  • Yes, they can. Neither of my parents is autistic- though my mum is probably neurodivergent in another way (dyslexia).

Autism is hereditary, but it's not as simple as one gene that makes you autistic, so it doesn't always get passed down directly parent to child. I'm not the only autistic person in my extended family (though I am the only person with an official diagnosis) so it must have a genetic component, just not one that's based on a single gene variant.

• Yes, they can. Neither of my parents is autistic- though my mum is probably neurodivergent in another way (dyslexia).

Autism is hereditary, but it's not as simple as one gene that makes you autistic, so it doesn't always get passed down directly parent to child. I'm not the only autistic person in my extended family (though I am the only person with an official diagnosis) so it must have a genetic component, just not one that's based on a single gene variant.

Children