Accents

I grew up in a fairly rough part of Glasgow and went to school with people with very thick working class Glaswegian accents, but everyone always described me as "posh". I even remember a local shopkeeper asking my mum where I was from once. I never understood how I ended up with a different accent. But it occurred to me recently that I have three cousins who are siblings and two of them have very rough accents but one sounds an awful lot like me. You wouldn't believe she was related to her siblings.

Is this an autistic thing? Or is my accent just a freak of nature?

Parents
  • Wow, looks like I've learned something else about me is apparently autism related.

Honestly this has been one of my favourite things about reading posts here is just ticking boxes in my life lol.

I've always felt my accent is so distant from family and region. I used to kinda convince myself and others who arent local or haven't lived here long that it's just because this area isn't typical to the region (which is true to some extent, it's got a lot of that old money/upper class and retired folk) but that's not really reflected in the everyman in this area and my parents certainly weren't from that background of wealth or high class so... It's not from my local living area.

I've been forcing my accent a little lately to how it *should* be, more as just a joke in the instances I talk to friends online because they like to joke about the stereotypical accent for my region so I play into it. But naturally it's not quite like that, disappointingly. No one I've met online has guessed my accent (Then I also meet people who aren't from the UK and just say my accent is 'English' as if we all sound the same lol).

I guess I have had a different environment though to my fellow locals because I haven't spent a lot of time communicating with my peers growing up so I've probably picked up much of my language from television or online chat and the like. Heck, I met a guy online who I recognise a twinge of a Welsh accent but he sounds VERY American. He's never been to America but he played games online for years and years almost exclusively with a small group of American friends. Just like how people who move to another country even in late life still pick up an accent, maybe those of us who don't interact with the public in our area much I guess instead pick up our accents from elsewhere.

• Wow, looks like I've learned something else about me is apparently autism related.

Honestly this has been one of my favourite things about reading posts here is just ticking boxes in my life lol.

I've always felt my accent is so distant from family and region. I used to kinda convince myself and others who arent local or haven't lived here long that it's just because this area isn't typical to the region (which is true to some extent, it's got a lot of that old money/upper class and retired folk) but that's not really reflected in the everyman in this area and my parents certainly weren't from that background of wealth or high class so... It's not from my local living area.

I've been forcing my accent a little lately to how it *should* be, more as just a joke in the instances I talk to friends online because they like to joke about the stereotypical accent for my region so I play into it. But naturally it's not quite like that, disappointingly. No one I've met online has guessed my accent (Then I also meet people who aren't from the UK and just say my accent is 'English' as if we all sound the same lol).

I guess I have had a different environment though to my fellow locals because I haven't spent a lot of time communicating with my peers growing up so I've probably picked up much of my language from television or online chat and the like. Heck, I met a guy online who I recognise a twinge of a Welsh accent but he sounds VERY American. He's never been to America but he played games online for years and years almost exclusively with a small group of American friends. Just like how people who move to another country even in late life still pick up an accent, maybe those of us who don't interact with the public in our area much I guess instead pick up our accents from elsewhere.

Children
No Data