Accents

I grew up in a fairly rough part of Glasgow and went to school with people with very thick working class Glaswegian accents, but everyone always described me as "posh". I even remember a local shopkeeper asking my mum where I was from once. I never understood how I ended up with a different accent. But it occurred to me recently that I have three cousins who are siblings and two of them have very rough accents but one sounds an awful lot like me. You wouldn't believe she was related to her siblings.

Is this an autistic thing? Or is my accent just a freak of nature?

Parents
  • I think that I have a 'generalised Northern English accent', I say path and bath with short 'A's. I can use my native accent if I want to, but it isn't my day-to-day speech. That has been RP-influenced, to some extent, as I have lost the emphatic 'U' and rhoticity of my native accent/dialect. I never use glottal stops and never use intrusive 'R' sounds - I say drawing and not drawring. My pronunciation is quite precise, possibly a bit prissy. I have been told by non-native speakers of English that I am easy to understand.

• It’s always been by my opinion that the purpose of language is the efficient and accurate exchange of information.

I’ve always been perplexed by people who use language as a badge of identity or a political tool (a problem here in Scotland). A language, accent or dialect that can’t be used to communicate just seems pointless to me.

Perhaps this shapes how autistic people use language.

• A language, accent or dialect that can’t be used to communicate just seems pointless to me.

This is a really interesting thought - particularly as the non-textual aspects of language communicate important aspects that I frequently don't pick up until much, much later.

Reply Children
No Data