Do autistic people get screwed over at work more?

Do autistic people get screwed over at work more or is it just me? Most jobs I have had I get taken advantage of or treated worse, with less respect, than other collegues by the people I work for. My most recent job I have been borderline defrauded. Two of my three previous ones I had to go to ACAS. 

I'm quite a worldly wise person and certainly not naïve but yet I always get treated as if I am a naïve mug who doesn't know what's what.

I'm not saying all this cos I feel sorry for myself, I just want to know if this is a common autistic experience in the workplace or whether it's just me?

Parents
  • Only recently I have been diagnosed and have not worked since very early sepetember 2019 due to being off on sick while waiting to be assessed... But to be honest I am not able to work as it stresses me too much due to the past.

The truth is I have sufcered so much past workplace abuse that it mentally effected me to the point that though the last time I worked the guys were so caring and great, msmories from the past kicked in time and time again to the point that I kept having repeat burnouts/breakdowns. 

So the answer now I know I am on the spectrum is a definate "YES" to the question "Are those on the spectrum more suseptable to workplace abuse". 

i spent several years working and recieving payslips where I later found out the company never knew I was working as I wasn't on their books and it was way below minimum wage for the next few years when I was due to a staff member in charge of the wages also insisting I did lots of "Compulsary" overtime to keep my job.  But the mental results of this hit me so hard  and kept repeating in serious burnouts where I went for a year or two with no income during the recovery from these. (Didn't know how to put feelings into words so could never explain to doctors or even go to doctors because I never knew what to say! I begged my Mum to arrange for me to see a vet as one disn't haveto talk to a vet! :D ).

• I begged my Mum to arrange for me to see a vet as one disn't haveto talk to a vet! :D ).

The real problem here starts when thet need to take your temperature - have you seen how they do that for a cat / dog?

• I am laughing soo much as we have had plenty of cats and dogs in the past and I remeber their face when the vet did that! Their eyes! It was like they were saying "WHAT IS HE DOING?"  

Poor things!

Reply Children
No Data