Do autistic people get screwed over at work more?

Do autistic people get screwed over at work more or is it just me? Most jobs I have had I get taken advantage of or treated worse, with less respect, than other collegues by the people I work for. My most recent job I have been borderline defrauded. Two of my three previous ones I had to go to ACAS. 

I'm quite a worldly wise person and certainly not naïve but yet I always get treated as if I am a naïve mug who doesn't know what's what.

I'm not saying all this cos I feel sorry for myself, I just want to know if this is a common autistic experience in the workplace or whether it's just me?

Parents
  • Yeah, 

Similar to my experience, I have to say. It's like always being an outsider - as usual.

My job now is ok, still an outsider, but my colleagues are ok, they're not unkind, which is a good thing. 

I think maybe we're treated like alien idiots because we don't speak the NT language- which leads many of them to assume stupidity. Selective mutism, which some of us have, leads people to assume a lack of understanding. 

I've had that a lot. 

• Yeah, 

Similar to my experience, I have to say. It's like always being an outsider - as usual.

My job now is ok, still an outsider, but my colleagues are ok, they're not unkind, which is a good thing. 

I think maybe we're treated like alien idiots because we don't speak the NT language- which leads many of them to assume stupidity. Selective mutism, which some of us have, leads people to assume a lack of understanding. 

I've had that a lot. 

Children
  • Same here. I have two degrees and a postgraduate, and still treated as stupid :-( 

• Question.....

It's like always being an outsider - as usual.

Do you actually want to be an insider?

For ages, I thought I did......then I realised that I didn't, and now I'm pretty sure I still don't !

I am always an "insider" with one other soul at a time, but when it comes to 'groups', I seem most happy being the "other" bloke.