Second assessment

Hi

I’ve just been recently diagnosed with Autism by Psychiatry UK via NHS Right to choose., which in fairness was quite quick, just several months.

However, the question I now have is that I am still on my local NHS waiting list for an autism assessment, I have been on the list for 13 months and it has been indicated to me that the assessment should take place next month Feb 24, but I’m still unsure whether I should be going ahead with the second assessment.

If I do go ahead with the NHS assessment and they confirm an autism diagnosis, then this would give me access to potential further support by their own mental health professionals, which my Psychiatry UK diagnosis does not entitle me.

I am currently being supported by two local support organisations and a psychiatric nurse, however I have received several different contradictory opinions whether I should be going ahead with the second assessment.

One of these people asked me to consider what would happen if a second assessment concluded that I wasn’t on the ASC spectrum, which certainly caused me some degree of anxiety.

I would be grateful of any further support or advice regarding this.

Parents Reply
  • Sorry too for the confusion, I've been assured by the local NHS service that if I am diagnosed as having autism by themselves,, that I will be entitled to post diagnosis services from them. I've also met several adults in the local support group I attend who have received post diagnostic suppport from them.

Children
No Data