What aspects of daily life do you find most challenging?

Hi all,

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with autism 3 years ago as a 30 year old man and at that time I had a decent quality of life, a good job, a great social life and wonderful home life. However even with this life I ended up with quite severe depression which after a while resulted me in receiving the diagnosis of having autism. It’s obvious now that throughout my life I was continuously masking just to get through each day and to survive so to speak.

Now that I’m more aware about myself and allow myself to be truly me, I find it extremely difficult to be happy sometimes which may be the case for some of you also. I particularly find it difficult in gaining employment once again which is more suitable to my needs and also being social making friends who accept me for how I am and for who I am.

With this in mind I’m genuinely curious to see what is the biggest issue you find or struggle with as an autistic individual?

Thank you for taking to the time look at this and hoping your having a good day!

Parents
  • Technology and feel embarrassed having to ask for help. I live in fear that I will need to download and use an App. 

You even have to use it to book in at the doctor's surgery. First time I went it took me ages to see where it was. The second time I got confused putting in the date of birth and ended up talking to the machine. Then I thought it came up with the wrong name, but it was who I was going to see. They also have a machine to log in visitors at my son's school. Not only is it the technology, but when you are doing things out of your comfort zone the last thing I want to do is draw attention to myself. (At least you can wear a mask at the surgery).

• There's a new interactive screen at my doctors which you use to sign yourself in. It asks your age, name and date of birth, and which doctor you're seeing. All common knowledge to me but my mind goes blank when I'm there and I get confused and anxious when trying to use it.

• There's a new interactive screen at my doctors which you use to sign yourself in. It asks your age, name and date of birth, and which doctor you're seeing. All common knowledge to me but my mind goes blank when I'm there and I get confused and anxious when trying to use it.

Children
No Data