A rant on cars

I think it's stupid that we have cars. They're a massive waste of money. They make public spaces less accessible. It's harder for children to play on the street or to walk where you want to go. They've led to high streets becoming more empty as cars go to large out-of-town supermarkets.

Sometimes people die in car crashes, needlessly, leaving families devestated. 

People who can't drive are discriminated against. We have to rely on infrequent bus and rail services that are sometimes overpriced.

All the money spent on buying a car, the insurance, MOT, tax, maintenance and repairs, petrol, imagine what that money could do if those cars weren't there. It would give people money to spend on building better buildings, facilities, public transport, social services, healthcare, education.

Parents
  • Hello Roswell,

I live in a rural location and so need a vehicle for transport. The bus service has been cut back and even with my rail card, the fares are too expensive for me to travel too often not to mention the sheer unreliability at present. I agree with you that we need better public transport not paying companies to run our services which only leads to higher fares. I cycle more than I drive and walk as well but without my vehicle, I would be stranded. It is both tax and MOT exempt plus the insurance is reasonable so not quite a money pit .   

• My dad has a car which is mot and tax exempt. I think it's ulez exempt as well. He drives to London a lot but their emissions charge doesn't apply

Reply Children
No Data