Overwhelm, fatigue and acceptance

Today i just cant get my act together. Between walking my dog i am getting back into bed. I wouldnt say that i feel tired, but fatigued and a sense of overwhelm. In the past i would battle with this, but now knowing that i am autistic, i accept it and see it as a time for the need to rest. It feels a little like giving in, but i then realise it as a necessity to keep myself feeling just ok. I used to work full time. My ability has reduced. Do you think this is common for those of us over 50? I pick and plan my activities carefully in a wsy that i can manage, it seems essential to managing my life x

Parents
  • I do think this is more common for autists over 50, based purely upon my own experiences and anecdotal evidence here and elsewhere. There is so little research on the effects of aging in autistic adults.

I have commented on another thread today about the importance of listening to your body. If it is telling you to slow down and rest then that is what it needs. There is a time for acceptance and the realisation that pushing yourself is not always in your own best interests.

I have experienced burnout and regression and I look back in wonder at what I used to be able to achieve. My sensory sensitivities have increased in recent years too. There is an interesting section on page 25 of this document, asking if sensory issues change with age or do we tolerate them differently:

https://www.ndti.org.uk/assets/files/Its-not-rocket-science-V6.pdf

There is a graph showing lifetime sensory resilience trajectory peaking in adulthood and then declining as we age. The report states: 

"Resilience is built during all childhood and diminishes in ageing in all people – irrespective of neurodivergence. The problem autistic people have is the difference in sensory input."

• Thank you i will take a look at this. I do feel that my senses are affected including body/skin sensations. I have recognised that i rock my feet and tap my shoulder whilst i am resting. This would be stimming i assume? I also often feel the need to lie on the floor, but i dont always follow this through for obvious reasons, but i lay on the bed instead. Do you think these are signs of overwhelm that shold not be ignored? At 59, are these "symptoms" a sign that i really do need to take nitice and retreat more, x

• Thank you i will take a look at this. I do feel that my senses are affected including body/skin sensations. I have recognised that i rock my feet and tap my shoulder whilst i am resting. This would be stimming i assume? I also often feel the need to lie on the floor, but i dont always follow this through for obvious reasons, but i lay on the bed instead. Do you think these are signs of overwhelm that shold not be ignored? At 59, are these "symptoms" a sign that i really do need to take nitice and retreat more, x

Children
  • I also often feel the need to lie on the floor, but i dont always follow this through for obvious reasons, but i lay on the bed instead.

Just chipping in but I too love to lie down on the floor (preferably a hard tiled floor) I feel like the weight kind of regulates my breath if that makes sense? 

• I also often feel the need to lie on the floor,

Interesting that you should say this. I also get this urge, and living alone i do often indulge it.

I had a terrible CBT therapist at the beginning of last year. When I told her about it she basically acted like i was a nutter or making it up.

• I have recognised that i rock my feet and tap my shoulder whilst i am resting. This would be stimming i assume?

Yes.

I also often feel the need to lie on the floor, but i dont always follow this through for obvious reasons, but i lay on the bed instead.

That sounds like a need for pressure to regulate, in a similar way to how some autistic people find weighted blankets helpful. I remember at my post diagnostic session one of the tips for self regulation is to press your back against a wall. That may be a useful quick fix when lying on the floor isn't an option.

At 59, are these "symptoms" a sign that i really do need to take nitice and retreat more

I would say yes absolutely listen to your body and take notice of what it is communicating.