Advice finding a teaching job

Hi Community

I'm a 38-year old primary school teacher, in my 5th year of teaching, and have spent my whole adult life working as an entertainer as well (magician, hypnotist, quizmaster, etc).  I'm high functioning and have a unique skillset as a teacher. I'm confident in the things that make typically 'good' teachers - knowledge, engagement, relationships with children, running the classroom successfully day-to-day.  

My struggles with the job are administrative - time management, marking, planning lessons that are accessible to teachers other than myself, concentrating during training sessions. As such, while I'm respected by those who work with me directly, I often struggle with school leaders, who are only getting snapshots of what I do through snippets of observations and summarised conversations from other colleagues.  I don't tick the boxes suitably for those in management positions who don't take the time to get to know me, or only see me in the environments where I don't thrive.  As such, I'm struggling to find a school that aligns with my values and prioritise data and efficiency over bringing the best out in children and giving them the best of myself to improve their knowledge, confidence, social skills, personalities, empathy, etc. 

I just got released by a school with underqualified interim managers who had to step up a role to cover for a headteacher who became unexpectedly absent, after having left my past few schools for varying reasons.

I've tried to adapt to be a box-ticker but that's not 'me', and minimises the reasons I got into teaching.  I've not really had the chance to discuss it at length with anyone. Does anybody have any advice on:

- Who I can talk to?
- How I can overcome boundaries to improve in the eyes of school leaders?

- How to find a school where I'd be better suited to build a career?

- Any jobs adjacent to teaching which minimise the obstacles that are preventing me from succeeding?

- Any other unsolicited advice I've not asked for directly?

Thanks for your consideration

Victor

Parents Reply Children
No Data