Anthropomorphism

I found the meme below the other day and it occurred to me that I do have a habit of talking to inanimate objects and treating them like they are sentient beings.

It never occurred to me that this might be an autistic thing though. Do you do this?

Parents
  • I'm like this too. I gives names to things and interact with them, particularly with cuddly toys and my car.

This article on autistic hyper empathy is relevant:

https://the-art-of-autism.com/autistic-people-empathy-whats-the-real-story/

"Another way this shows itself is in the extreme personification of objects: forming deep emotional bonds with everyday items like pencils or rubber bands.

There are many examples of personification in the language we use every day (time waits for no-one/the camera loves her etc.) and also in our culture, with films such as Beauty and the Beast being very much enhanced by its singing, dancing, emoting kitchenware, but what I’m describing here is something much more overwhelming. Autistic people can become extremely upset if they feel, for example, that a specific crayon or hairbrush isn’t being used as often as the others, because it might be feeling left out. I can imagine how that sounds to anyone who’s unfamiliar with autism, but believe me, to many, many autistic people, this really does make perfect sense."

• I get quite upset if I don’t wear all my different trainers equally even though I have only 2 pairs that are my fave. 

Reply Children
No Data