Anthropomorphism

I found the meme below the other day and it occurred to me that I do have a habit of talking to inanimate objects and treating them like they are sentient beings.

It never occurred to me that this might be an autistic thing though. Do you do this?

Parents
  • And I thought it was just me!

I talk to inanimate items, I treasure some of my possessions. I have things from way-back taking up far too much of my storage space; they just don't deserve to be ditched. However, I do lose my rag with uncooperative printers; I've had a rant about them on the forum before, I threaten them, I give them a damn good talking to, warning the recalcitrant little objects of the peril of their very existence...... but they don't listen!

Ben

• Hi everyone 

Really interesting to hear about the objects and how you talk to them. It sounds like quite a therapeutic thing to do tbh. I’m not aware I talk to things but I talk to myself while using things (almost like I’m on tv explaining to an ordinance). I’ve never really thought about this until I saw this thread but it’s something else I now have become aware of. I work alone so I do talk to myself a massive amount, I’m ocd as well so that usually means I constantly tell myself out loud what I’m going to do and in what order. I am going to try and talk to some objects or possessions though and see how it goes. Sounds like a great idea and sounds comforting also. 

• Hi everyone 

Really interesting to hear about the objects and how you talk to them. It sounds like quite a therapeutic thing to do tbh. I’m not aware I talk to things but I talk to myself while using things (almost like I’m on tv explaining to an ordinance). I’ve never really thought about this until I saw this thread but it’s something else I now have become aware of. I work alone so I do talk to myself a massive amount, I’m ocd as well so that usually means I constantly tell myself out loud what I’m going to do and in what order. I am going to try and talk to some objects or possessions though and see how it goes. Sounds like a great idea and sounds comforting also. 

Children