ASD Referral accepted

Hi,

I've just been told that my referral has been accepted!  It was only a month ago that I discovered that I'm Autistic. I'm 53 years old. I'm still trying to get my head around this revelation. 

I'm an emotional mess. 

Did anyone of you react in this way ? 

Parents
  • Hi and welcome! 

Yes I was a complete mess. I was diagnosed age 14 and already going through loads with school and puberty, then with the added referral and assessment it became a wild storm of emotional distress and confusion. I remember a lot of self doubt at that time. But what you are feeling is completely normal I promise you. With this there is no right or wrong way to feel.

I hope you won't have to wait too long and in the meantime stick around here. Learning more of autism will help you understand yourself more and feel more comfortable within yourself and who you are. It's a long journey of self discovery with many ups and downs but for me personally it's been an eye opening journey and now I am feeling much more comfortable and happy.

Take care of yourself.

• Thank you for your reply. 

I've been told that the assessment wait time is 18-24 months.

I've ordered the book 'Looking after your autistic self '. I'm hoping that it will help. 

• Hopefully it will be quicker for you, though I had a long wait for mine and earlier in the year at autism groups I hosted a lot of people were saying how they had waited for a long time.

Do make sure you call them up r.e. your referral as some people get missed in the list sometimes. It never hurts to check in and ask.

I hope the book is informative for you and helps you with the process of waiting.

Reply Children
No Data