Work is

Hi. Advice needed. I'm a 1-1 TA in a primary school. My class is year 1.  We have a new headteacher and recently I told her I had autism. Two days later I was told I was being moved into FS1. I work part time and her reason was that it is disruptive to the class when I leave at midday. I've done the job for 7 years and this is the first I've heard that it is disruptive. I told her I didn't want to move as I find working with younger children very difficult. It's the imaginative play and lack of routine that I can't do. She then referred me to Occupational Health. After the appointment a report was sent to her with some recommendations. The next day she told me she was moving me into nursery! Which is even lower. I was so upset that I came home and self harmed. I don't know what to do. I'm dreading going back to work after the holidays. My anxiety is getting worse and I just feel lost. I used to love working with the children and now it's all gone. 

Parents
  • I'm with Amerantin on this - join a union ASAP and in the meantime read up on a few things to educate yourself about your rights:

1 - learn about what "reasonable adjustments" an employer can be asked to make and request them - if it is working only with older children then ask for it under "reasonable adjustments" .

2 - ask for the edvidence that you were being disruptive.when you were leaving at mid-day. If there is none then it seems clear you are being selectively pushed to situations that are stressing you in order to make you leave. Keep all communication written (email or written) and make sure you have copies of it at home in case you need to sue them later.

3 - if your employer is avoiding giving you evidence or anything in writing then consult with an employment solicitor and see what you need to do - often it just takes a letter from them to the school to scare them into backing off, but if not it will make them have to work a hell of a lot harder to make you leave.

Don't let them push you out - you clearly love what you do so fight for it.

That would be what I would do in your situation anyway.

Good luck

• I'm with Amerantin on this - join a union ASAP and in the meantime read up on a few things to educate yourself about your rights:

1 - learn about what "reasonable adjustments" an employer can be asked to make and request them - if it is working only with older children then ask for it under "reasonable adjustments" .

2 - ask for the edvidence that you were being disruptive.when you were leaving at mid-day. If there is none then it seems clear you are being selectively pushed to situations that are stressing you in order to make you leave. Keep all communication written (email or written) and make sure you have copies of it at home in case you need to sue them later.

3 - if your employer is avoiding giving you evidence or anything in writing then consult with an employment solicitor and see what you need to do - often it just takes a letter from them to the school to scare them into backing off, but if not it will make them have to work a hell of a lot harder to make you leave.

Don't let them push you out - you clearly love what you do so fight for it.

That would be what I would do in your situation anyway.

Good luck

Children