Going about setting boundaries with uncooperative family

Ok so I've started to go home early in social situations like yesterday, we go to my aunty's house for Christmas dinner, I had to leave early because it was all too much. We make our boxing day the day after boxing day so my aunty doesn't have to cook twice in a row.

Anyway, my mother wants me to go to my aunty's again after already going there for Christmas like twice in a week is mentally draining so I said I didn't want to go and my mother said I don't "push myself enough" like I could've said I didn't want to go on Christmas but I did and I want to cry because I'm frustrated, I thought my mother understood but apparently I need to "push my boundaries", what should I do to make her understand if she doesn't already?

Parents
  • what should I do to make her understand if she doesn't already?

In your situation I would find some good links explaining about the impact of social situations on autists and how much of an overhead it is for us, and pass them onto your mum.

If you pass this to her and she doesn't pay attention then you have a problem so you can either stand up for yourself and say no or warn her what the consequences are and wait for the inevitable meltdown and make sure you tell her "I told you it would happen".

It really sounds like she isn't able to understand or doesn't want to - it could even be she is autistic herself and has had to push herself all her life and expects you to do the same.

Good luck.

• what should I do to make her understand if she doesn't already?

In your situation I would find some good links explaining about the impact of social situations on autists and how much of an overhead it is for us, and pass them onto your mum.

If you pass this to her and she doesn't pay attention then you have a problem so you can either stand up for yourself and say no or warn her what the consequences are and wait for the inevitable meltdown and make sure you tell her "I told you it would happen".

It really sounds like she isn't able to understand or doesn't want to - it could even be she is autistic herself and has had to push herself all her life and expects you to do the same.

Good luck.

Children