What is a shutdown

Hi I’m really curious want to know what a shutdown is? I know what a meltdown is and being on the spectrum myself I’ve have had many but I have not even encountered a shutdown. My boyfriend who is also on the spectrum has them but their quiet rare. I have tried many ways to get him to snap out of the one he is currently facing but no luck instead it makes him more irritated. Basically what is a shutdown? How long do they last? And is there a way to get a person to can’t think of a less harsh phrase here but to snap out of it? 

Parents
  • I sometimes suffer shutdowns when I am overwhelmed. Usually this means I become non-verbal  and stare into space. This can last minutes, or in the case of last weekend, a couple of days. They also vary in severity - sometimes I can speak but it takes a huge effort and sometimes I just can’t.

I think meltdowns and shutdowns have similar origins but as we get older meltdowns often happen less frequently and shutdowns become more frequent, possibly because meltdowns are so socially unacceptable.

• I sometimes suffer shutdowns when I am overwhelmed. Usually this means I become non-verbal  and stare into space. This can last minutes, or in the case of last weekend, a couple of days. They also vary in severity - sometimes I can speak but it takes a huge effort and sometimes I just can’t.

I think meltdowns and shutdowns have similar origins but as we get older meltdowns often happen less frequently and shutdowns become more frequent, possibly because meltdowns are so socially unacceptable.

Children
No Data