Was this a parasocial relationship?

I was 21 and I reached out to someone on Instagram. I don't think I'd consider them a big public figure (although they had followers in the ten thousands) but they went on Britain's Got Talent as part of a group, and they weren't the 'face' of that group. They got the golden buzzer and made the final.

This was back when the Instagram algorithm was a bit different, where the stories of people you're not following would also come up on your home screen. I recall responding to this person with an attempt at a witty remark but they thought I was being deadly serious (they didn't take offence), and instead we ended up having an interesting conversation. I slipped in a mention about being autistic, and at this point it was the first time I had mentioned it very soon after becoming acquainted with someone.

Over the following few months we did speak here and there, although 99% of the time I did initiate the conversation and it was only on my birthday (one of the four) where it was the reverse. I didn't really pick up on it; I had no knowledge or understanding as to what I wanted out of friendships at this time but I latched onto this person. It was such a different dynamic to anything I'd had at that point, where I really believed they liked me and accepted me as a person. I didn't really feel that welcome anywhere else at the time. I became attracted to them for a while (arguably my first serious crush) but I knew it wasn't something I could pursue.

Over time, I did struggle with the fact they were difficult to get hold of, and I would often try really hard to do so. At the time, I didn't realise that a 'friendship' shouldn't be like that, and I don't think I even know if that was the case. I never explicitly asked for their phone number or anything although when I expressed the confusion I was feeling, they said they were afraid of giving their number out (understandably).

I don't have anything negative to say about them, they were nothing but kind. I do think about it though and whether I could have seen the signs earlier that maybe this wasn't ever going to be a traditional 'friendship' in the way that I would like, or that would be healthy for both of us.

Parents
  • Since no one is answering this.  You already know the answer is most likely yes.  Also it's unlikely you were talking to this person.  Celebs tend to employ people to run their social media.  It's more likely you were talking to whomever managed the account for them.

• Since no one is answering this.  You already know the answer is most likely yes.  Also it's unlikely you were talking to this person.  Celebs tend to employ people to run their social media.  It's more likely you were talking to whomever managed the account for them.

Children
  • I do believe I was talking to them, I feel I'd be able to notice if it was someone else, and they seemed to take an interest in me as a person. But yeah, I didn't think it wouldn't resemble an actual connection.