Loud explosive meltdowns

1. Has anyone here ever been physically violent during a meltdown? For example, pounding the t.v. until it breaks, or pushing another person who felt too close in proximity, or fists clenched with loud screaming and yelling to get the *** away, I do understand not all meltdowns are alike. My partner was diagnosed at age 50. My family has decided that Autism has nothing to do with it and therefore this must be a Domestic Violence situation. I don’t see that, but wondering if others would share about the shame and how their own meltdowns may look, especially to neurotypical people or family that is resistant to learning more about late diagnosis AuADHD and breakdowns, lack of employment , and suicide attempts. I read that it is common, but only read that in articles. The society silences and Autistic people seem afraid to share the hard truth about late diagnosis and meltdowns because it is not emotionally safe to do so. But I want desperately to connect with the community and understand. Can anyone here help?
Parents
  • I am possibly the wrong person to respond because I mainly tend to shout when I experience meltdowns. For context, I'm 49.

In the past, I have occasionally felt the need to release my frustration and anger by breaking things, but have managed to control it enough to be selective about what I break. For example, I used to stamp on plastic plant pots because they were inexpensive to replace. On one occasion I smashed some random items of crockery that I no longer used, but that's about as physical as my meltdowns have ever gotten.

• I am possibly the wrong person to respond because I mainly tend to shout when I experience meltdowns. For context, I'm 49.

In the past, I have occasionally felt the need to release my frustration and anger by breaking things, but have managed to control it enough to be selective about what I break. For example, I used to stamp on plastic plant pots because they were inexpensive to replace. On one occasion I smashed some random items of crockery that I no longer used, but that's about as physical as my meltdowns have ever gotten.

Children
No Data