Diagnosed, and?!!

Hi all,

i waited 2 years to be assessed on the NHS. I wanted to know how I might process / differ from others, as I was tired of always having issues with work. I got diagnosed as high functioning autistic and that was it. I just have a label. It now means that if I disclose, people say “how can we help?” and I have nothin to tell them. What an utter waste of time a diagnosis was. Is this normal? I mean, I had an expectation of something like: “yes, you have autism and here is how you differ from neurotypical people” so I had some understanding of why I’d been struggling and a way forward. 

did I just get a terrible service, or is this normal? Just slapped with a label and that’s it? 

any guidance, gratefully received. Slight smile

Parents
  • When I was diagnosed earlier this year I had my initial assessment through the NHS and I was invited back a couple of weeks later to discuss their findings. This was where they went through the report that they has created and told me that I was autistic. At the end of the discussion just before I was leaving I was told that I would be discharged now from the ASD service. I had a few links in my report that I could use to get help if I wanted but other than that I was left feeling like I was pretty much on my own now. The months that followed I were quite difficult and I still feel now, a number of months on that I am out at sea and all I was given was arm bands. 

I really wish there was at least a few follow up sessions with a proffesional that you could have access to which could navigate you a little more smoothly into this new neurodivergent existence.

Lets hope this gets easier.

• When I was diagnosed earlier this year I had my initial assessment through the NHS and I was invited back a couple of weeks later to discuss their findings. This was where they went through the report that they has created and told me that I was autistic. At the end of the discussion just before I was leaving I was told that I would be discharged now from the ASD service. I had a few links in my report that I could use to get help if I wanted but other than that I was left feeling like I was pretty much on my own now. The months that followed I were quite difficult and I still feel now, a number of months on that I am out at sea and all I was given was arm bands. 

I really wish there was at least a few follow up sessions with a proffesional that you could have access to which could navigate you a little more smoothly into this new neurodivergent existence.

Lets hope this gets easier.

Children
  • I don't think it automatically becomes easier - certainly not for everyone.

Personally, knowing WHY I have struggled with so many "unusual" things in my life was the sum total of my reward from my autistic realisation.  I had rather hoped for more reward than that......although to be honest, that single reward has resulted in a huge positive difference to my mental health and sense of calm!!

I have not given up on experimenting with new strategies to mitigate my most troublesome autistic realities....but I have to say, for me, this has not proved as easy as I had originally hoped.

I like your arm band analogy.....so to continue the nautical theme.....I feel like I am a Columbus crab, scrabbling around on this raft of kelp and plastic and rubbish = here in this place/forum = my only and most important resource in this sea.  It is isolated and a bit scary, but there are also hundreds of similar Columbus crabs on this same raft = that is why this place is good for me.  However, I am still hoping for "my" turtle ride, so that I can expand my horizons and experience more of this ocean of life!

Anyhow - nice to meet you Adam.

[Disambiguation - www.mentalfloss.com/article/86895/crabs-secret-happy-relationship-turtles-butt = should explain my extended analogy, if anyone is interested.]

[Double disambiguation - just to be crystal clear......I'm not longing to house myself in a turtle's butt !]