Diagnosed, and?!!

Hi all,

i waited 2 years to be assessed on the NHS. I wanted to know how I might process / differ from others, as I was tired of always having issues with work. I got diagnosed as high functioning autistic and that was it. I just have a label. It now means that if I disclose, people say “how can we help?” and I have nothin to tell them. What an utter waste of time a diagnosis was. Is this normal? I mean, I had an expectation of something like: “yes, you have autism and here is how you differ from neurotypical people” so I had some understanding of why I’d been struggling and a way forward. 

did I just get a terrible service, or is this normal? Just slapped with a label and that’s it? 

any guidance, gratefully received. Slight smile

Parents
  • Yes, that’s pretty much it. I was given a diagnosis and sent on my way.

I now have a better understanding of myself so it was worth it for that, but I have received absolutely zero support and so am still struggling just as much as before.

I think in some areas of the country the NHS does provide post-diagnosis support groups though.

• Yes, that’s pretty much it. I was given a diagnosis and sent on my way.

I now have a better understanding of myself so it was worth it for that, but I have received absolutely zero support and so am still struggling just as much as before.

I think in some areas of the country the NHS does provide post-diagnosis support groups though.

Children
No Data