Blogging about autistic experiences- do you have any experience or suggestions?

Hi fellow neurokin!

I have recently become interested in blogging about my autistic experience for an autistic led organisation. I have already written a blog for Neurodiverse Connection but I don’t yet have another opportunity to write another one for them.

I wondered if any one else has experience of this?

If so, did you enjoy it? Do you have any recommendations of autistic led organisations to contact?

I have thought about starting my own website dedicated to blogging about autistic experiences but I don’t think I am ready for that yet.

Thank you in advance!Smile

Parents
  • We've spoken about this very briefly but I did make a go of this earlier in the year. It came to an end because it had to, but while I didn't mind it at the time, in hindsight I don't think I was ever really prepared for it.

When you put yourself out there in the public eye (so to speak) and you're being very vulnerable about your personal life, inevitably people will turn to you for help and support. That's not a bad thing by any means, but you just need to be prepared for it.

I also did make my own website, but I guess the whole thing felt like too much of a lottery. I'd have to pitch ideas to websites, I'd have to get myself noticed somehow, and it got to the point where it wasn't really fun for me anymore. 

There's another organisation called 'The Thinking Person's Guide to Autism' if you want to try them.

• We've spoken about this very briefly but I did make a go of this earlier in the year. It came to an end because it had to, but while I didn't mind it at the time, in hindsight I don't think I was ever really prepared for it.

When you put yourself out there in the public eye (so to speak) and you're being very vulnerable about your personal life, inevitably people will turn to you for help and support. That's not a bad thing by any means, but you just need to be prepared for it.

I also did make my own website, but I guess the whole thing felt like too much of a lottery. I'd have to pitch ideas to websites, I'd have to get myself noticed somehow, and it got to the point where it wasn't really fun for me anymore. 

There's another organisation called 'The Thinking Person's Guide to Autism' if you want to try them.

Children
  • Hi HMO

Thanks for the recommendation, I will research!

I do remember discussing this with you before.

Thanks for reminding me about this, I want to write blogs that I am really passionate about and as part of that I think it will have to include some information about me personally in order for anyone to relate to it.

However, I think one way I can avoid people asking for support is by not allowing comments if I were to have my own website. In the future, I do want to be able to offer support to other autistic people including with self advocacy and understanding their own autistic identity.

If you don’t enjoy something anymore, that’s a definite sign that you need to stop. I completely understand what you mean by blogging being a lottery after all you can never be sure that someone will like your idea and agree to commission a blog.

Thanks again for this very informative reply!